Thursday, August 13

OF WOMAN OF LIBERATION AND OF LIBERATED WOMEN...

AUGUST 5 FLASHBACK

A WOMAN OF LIBERATION






August 5 is a day that will go down in history as the day the whole Philippines went back to the streets to say their final goodbye to Corazon C. Aquino. The late president will be remembered as the housewife who tumbled down a dictator and the woman who brought democracy back in the Philippines.

12 noon, I hailed a cab for a brainstorming in Mandaluyong for an upcoming show. The cab drove by South Superhighway and then Magallanes where a throng of people in yellow shirts, ribbons, and/or umbrellas were starting to build up right smack in the middle of the street waiting for the funeral procession of the demised president to pass by. Each hoping to catch a glimpse of the coffin . Seeing them from inside the cab waving yellow ribbons and L signs and literally stopping the traffic, I started having goose bumps and my heart began to race. I don't know if it was the sight of the mob or if it was an inner voice that I should commit on to my social/political obligations to pay respect, not in thought, but through my physical presence, at least, that I should say goodbye to the icon that brought back my rights as a free citizen. I ask the cab driver to drive me back to Vito Cruz, instead and I phoned and met up with some friends who were already there on the streets. The crowd was starting to grow and people from all walks of life, rich, poor, old, young, etc, were present. With that important meeting in mind, I thought to myself, "Fuck it!" This is history unfolding and this, I shouldn't miss. The show we are yet to prepare wouldn't be possible if this woman didn't stood up for us, so it's just proper to say my own goodbye. I luckily saw my friends in the massive crowd and while waiting for the procession, rain started to pour. Strong winds blew some umbrellas upside down and many old people were soaking wet from the rain. I strongly stood still, holding my umbrella, very careful not to get wet as I am still hoping to run to my meeting after that.
A couple of hours later, the advance party started to drive by. Everyone was shouting, "Cory! Cory!" Hands raised in L-sign. Familiar politicians in their SUV's (at first, I thought was a comfortable place to be in at that moment, but after hearing that it was an 8-hour convoy, I realized it was a trap) drove by. Finally, the flower-filled truck with 4 standing guards was in sight. I raised my left hand and did the L-sign and the other holding my blackberry taking pictures. When I realized I was less than 10-feet away from the truck, only then I felt that sickening sadness which I would never want to feel again. That very, very sad knowledge of knowing that someone has really passed away and will never come back again. Various thoughts filled my head at that very second. Like, whoelse will look after OUR freedom now that she's gone? The freedom we abused. The freedom we took for granted and the freedom we used carelessly. Cory's coffin, covered in Philippine flag, passed by, and as if a shining beckon of hope (or probably just a coaster with blinking headlights), the answer to my question: Mayor Fred Lim, in yellow shirt riding inside one of the convoy coaster, or Kris Aquino, in black dress and yellow belt, or someone i don't know quietly sitting inside the bus saying her prayers. Until today, I can think of no one but myself. Ourselves.

Align Center







LIBERATED WOMEN




Aug 5 is also a day that will go down in rcxyb.com history as the night RCXY almost failed to attend his first photo-exhibit! Right after the brainstorming, I went home straight to prep and dress up for the exhibit opening at Member's Only, an exclusive member's only posh club at The Fort, where famed photog Raymund Isaac is showcasing Isaac's Women, a bevy of beautiful ladies in a series of photographs, which I styled, thank you very much! In less than an hour before the exhibit opens, I was still at home waiting for my suit to be delivered! It was important that I wear that new suit as the invitation dictates that it was a black-tie affair. I wasn't to underestimate the crowd as the guests are all members and probably, no, definitely rich! I wouldn't want to look sappy in my own exhibit, right?Fortunately, the suit never arrived. I was losing hope and almost decided to stay home. I've come close to ordering crispy pata delivery which I plan to devour in disappointment. Suddenly, the angel of encouragement whispered something in my ear, and I saw my black leather jacket as the savior! I put on a pair of black slim pants, slipped on a white shirt, knotted a black leather slim tie, and threw over the ever-reliable black leather jacket! Finished the look with a faux-grade black frame glasses and I looked like a lower-east side artist from the 50's. I thought, this could work! It's my exhibit anyway, I can look however I want. I greased my hair, grab a cab and got there a few minutes late.






I went inside Member's Only and, although poorly lighted, seeing the first photo, I couldn't help but get teary eyed with pride! The photos were amazing! They all turned out to be beautiful! I was smiling wide while I go around, unmindful of all the guests who, I'm not even sure if they recognize me. I went around looking at each photo, extending my neck in between people. It was jampacked, and I'd say everyone liked it. I hear everyone's at praises. Doesn't matter if they can't put the name RCXY on my face, they liked it, I liked it- I'm good to go. It would've been rather good if I had someone to enjoy it with (this is one of those times when boyfriends can come in handy). I went around twice, the second, looking for any familiar face I could hang out and chat with. Clearly, that wasn't my crowd.




I went outside to get some fresh air, dialed Make-up Forever Team's number and asked where they are. Finally, when they arrived, I felt relieved. I went around with them again, this time to appreciate the pieces with the people I worked hard with! That night could've not been more perfect! This is the part where I should congratulate the team: Make-up Forever Pro Team for a job well done. They are the best make-up artists to work in this side of town! Masterful in techniques, clean in applications, easy to work with and fun, fun, fun! Precious Medina of Basement Salon did a great job in hairstyling for doing all the curling, teasing, and ironing all by herself! She was there with us since day one. She could take hair directions over the phone through sound-effects! Through this? Trudis! Portfolio's Ago Coronado for post-production, nude shot's secret weapon. And of course, the big man himself, Raymund Isaac and his assistants for outdoing themselves once again. And you know what's great, you guys will all see this collection when it hits the bookstores! Yes, it's a gonna be a book! Kudos!






2 comments:

chit said...

i was at MO! saw them after a week. nice photos!

RCXY said...

just saw ur comment....hehe
m glad u liked em! :P